Father Dan Fitzpatrick, SJ, Moderator | Xavier High School | 30 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011 | 212-337-7551 | brooklynprep@gmail.com
facebook facebook
Learn about ways to give
Dinner Tickets & Dues
Purchase your tickets
Golf Outing
BP Yearbooks from 1930-1972
Update Contact Info
Help us keep in touch

James F. "Jimmy" Quinn Brooklyn Prep Class of 1924 (September 9, 1906 – July 12, 2004) was an American athlete, winner of gold medal in 4x100 m relay at the 1928 Summer Olympics.

As a student of College of the Holy Cross, James Quinn won the IC4A 100 yd (91 m) title in 1928.

At the Olympic Games in Amsterdam, Quinn ran the second leg in the American 4x100 m relay team, which won the gold medal with a world record of 41.0.

James Quinn died in Cranston, Rhode Island, aged 97.

 Providence Journal Bulletin

01:00 AM EDT on Wednesday, July 14, 2004

CRANSTON -- James F. Quinn, 97, of Meredith Drive, a retired salesman,
a former sprinter, and the nation's oldest living Olympic gold
medalist, died Monday at the Philip Hulitar Inpatient Center of Home and
Hospice Care of Rhode Island, Providence.

He was the husband of Katherine C. (Coen) Quinn; they had been married
for 49 years.

"I was married to him for 20 years before I knew he had a gold medal,"
she told The Providence Journal in 2000, when her husband was profiled
by sports columnist Bill Reynolds at their quiet home in Dean Estates.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., a son of the late James F. and Mildred (Mallay)
Quinn, he had attended Brooklyn Prep School. He was a 1928 graduate of
Holy Cross College, where he earned a bachelor's degree in philosophy,
and had been a member of the school's track-and-field team. "He was
just a kid who liked to run," Reynolds wrote.

He qualified for the Olympics right after graduation, by winning the
100-yard dash in the IC4A's, at Harvard Stadium, running it in 9.9
seconds on a muddy track.

"The Olympics then were a country fair, compared to what they are
today," Mr. Quinn recalled in his interview with The Journal. "The stadium
was like something you might see Cranston East play in."

His crowning moment came that July, at The IX Olympiad, held in
Amsterdam, when he ran the second leg of the 400-meter relay -- what turned
out to be the fastest leg of the race. The U.S. team beat Germany and
Great Britain to take the gold.

After that? "I had to start making some money," he recalled.

He didn't even attend the parade that the mayor held for the Olympians.
Instead, he went to work at his family's small jewelry company, in New

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces.

Eventually, he got a sales job with the Dieges & Clust jewelry company,
in Providence, where he worked as a national salesman, and later, a
vice president, until he retired in 1970.

Mr. Quinn moved to Rhode Island in the late 1950s, but he didn't tell
anyone about his running days -- for many years, not even his wife. He
didn't have many mementos, either. A few old clippings; the gold medal
that he thought he'd lost, until it turned up in a closet; a lamp made
out of the silver cup he received from the New York Athletic Club when
he broke the world record in the 60-yard dash.

"Sometimes I think I was embarassed about it. I really don't like to be
prominent," he told The Journal. But, he later added, with a laugh,
"It's nice to be recognized before they plant me down."

He remained very active with the Holy Cross Alumni Association, and in
1962, was inducted into the Holy Cross Hall of Fame.

Mr. Quinn was a parishioner of St. Mark Church.

Besides his wife, he leaves several nieces and nephews and grand nieces
and grand nephews. He was a brother of the late Vincent and Mildred
Quinn and Agnes Kiechlin.

The funeral will be held tomorrow at 9 a.m. from the Woodlawn Funeral
Home, 600 Pontiac Ave., with a Mass of Christian Burial at 10 in St.
Mark Church, 9 Garden Court. Burial will be private.

Back to Top